Error Resolution for Statements

CPM Federal Credit Union

Your Duty to Review Statements and Report Problems

As detailed in our Membership Account Agreement and Disclosure you have a duty to promptly examine and report problems on or related to your periodic statements and we will not be responsible for any problem that you do not report to us in writing within a reasonable time not to exceed 30 calendar days after we mail the statement or make the statement available to you.   As used in the section, the term “problem” means any error, alteration, counterfeit check, or unauthorized transaction (including, but not limited to, forged or missing signatures and excluding consumer electronic transfers) related to your account.

Error Resolution for Substitute Checks and Images of Substitute Checks

Notwithstanding the foregoing, the time period for notifying  us or making a claim under the Check 21 Act, with respect to a substitute check or an image of a substitute check that is sent with a statement or appears on a statement, will be as set forth in the Check 21 Act.

Error Resolution for Consumer Electronic Transfers

In case of errors or questions about your consumer electronic transfers, contact the Credit Union at 800.255.1513 or visit any Credit Union branch as soon as you can.  If you think your statement or receipt is wrong or if you need more information about a transfer listed on the statement or receipt. We must hear from you no later than 60 days after we sent the FIRST statement on which the problem or error appeared.

  1. Tell us your name and account number (if any).
  2. Describe the error or the transfer you are unsure about and explain as clearly as you can why you believe it is an error or why you need more information.
  3. Tell us the dollar amount of the suspected error.

If you tell us orally, we may require that you send us your dispute or question in writing within ten business days. We will determine whether an error occurred within ten business days after we hear from you and will correct any error promptly. If we need more time, however, we may take up to 45 days to investigate your dispute or question. If we decide to do this, we will credit your account within ten business days for the amount you think is in error, so that you will have the use of the money during the time it takes us to complete our investigation. If we ask you to put your dispute or question in writing and we do not receive it within ten business days, we might not provisionally credit your account.

For errors involving new accounts, point-of-sale, or foreign-initiated transactions, we may take up to 90 days to investigate your dispute or question. For new accounts, we may take up to 20 business days to credit your account for the amount you think is in error. We will tell you the results within three business days after completing our investigation. If we decide that there was no error, we will send you a written explanation. You may ask for copies of the documents that we used in our investigation.

Error Resolution for Credit Line Accounts

Your rights and our responsibilities are governed by the Fair Credit Billing Act.  If you think there is an error on your statement, or you need more information about a transaction on your statement, write to us at 1066 E. Montague Ave., North Charleston, SC 29405 as soon as possible.  We must hear from you no later than 60 days after we sent you the first statement on which the error or problem occurred.  In your letter, give us the following information:

  • Account information: Your name and account number.
  • Dollar amount: The dollar amount of the suspected error.
  • Description of problem: If you think there is an error on your statement, describe what you believe is wrong and why you believe it is a mistake.

You must contact us:

  • Within 60 days after the error appeared on your statement.
  • At least 3 business days before an automated payment is scheduled, if you want to stop payment on the amount you think is wrong.

You must notify us of any potential errors in writing.  You may call us, but if you do we are not required to investigate any potential errors and you may have to pay the amount in question.

When we receive your letter, we must do two things:

  1. Within 30 days of receiving your letter, we must tell you that we received your letter.  We will also tell you if we have already corrected the error.
  2. Within 90 days of receiving your letter, we must either correct the error or explain to you why we believe the statement is correct.

While we investigate whether or not there has been an error:

  • We cannot try to collect the amount in question, or report you as delinquent on that amount.
  • The charge in question may remain on your statement, and we may continue to charge you interest on that amount.
  • While you do not have to pay the amount in question, your are responsible for the remainder of your balance.
  • We can apply any unpaid amount against your credit limit.

After we finish our investigation, one of two things will happen:

  • If we made a mistake: you will not have to pay the amount in question or any interest or other fees related to that amount.
  • If we do not believe there was a mistake: you will have to pay the amount in question, along with applicable interest and fees.  We will send you a statement of the amount you owe and the date payment is due.  We may then report you as delinquent if you do not pay the amount we think you owe.

If you receive our explanation letter but still believe your statement is wrong, you must write to us within 10 days telling us that you still refuse to pay.   If you do so, we cannot report you as delinquent without also reporting that you are questioning your bill.  We must tell you the name of anyone to whom we reported you as delinquent, and we must let those organizations know when the matter has been settled between us.  If we do not follow all of the rules above, you do not have to pay the first $50.00 of the amount you question even if your statement is correct.

Error Resolution for Other Accounts

You may receive separate statements for credit cards or mortgages you hold with us.  If you do, please refer to those separate statements for errors or questions regarding those accounts.